BA (Hons) Counselling
Waverley Abbey College is the only provider in the UK to offer a single honours counselling programme that underpins and integrates professional counselling training with a Christian world-view and a Christian anthropology.
The training integrates: insights from the latest contemporary models and practice of counselling; a Christian framework for counselling (the Waverley Integrative Framework); the skills and understanding to help others.
Who is the programme for?
This programme is suitable for those:
- Seeking to become a professional counsellor
- Involved in pastoral care or a Christian ministry
- In a caring profession
How is the programme taught?
The programme is delivered primarily at weekends, with the occasional week-long commitment.
What is the programme content?
- Counselling Theory and the Waverley Integrative Framework of Counselling
- Counselling Skills and Practice
- Personal and Professional Development
- Development Psychology and Psychopathology
- Counselling Skills: Clinical Practice 1
- Supervision and Professional Development
- Self-Awareness and Personal Growth
- Integrative Approaches and Mental Health
- Advanced Counselling Skills: Clinical Practice 2
- Reflective Practice
- Fieldwork and Professional Development
- Integration: Theory and Practice
- Counselling and Spirituality
- Counselling Literature Review
Where is the programme taught?
What are the entry requirements?
You will need:
- GCSE English (grade C or above) and
- Minimum of 2 A level passes.
However, if you do not satisfy this criteria, do not be discouraged from applying – we will consider other qualifications, informal learning and life experience in place of these. You may also wish to consider our Waverley Certificate in Christian Counselling.
You will also be expected to demonstrate a heart for counselling and have some experience as an effective listener.
If you have completed the Waverley Certificate, Diploma or Advanced Diploma in the past, or if you have a counselling qualification from elsewhere, you may be eligible for direct entry into Year 2, 3 or 4.
What are the dates for this programme?
The BA (Hons) Counselling programme is a four-year to five-year, part-time degree. Years 4 and 5 may be completed in one year, depending on the time you have available. The awards earned on completion of each year are as follows:
- Year 1: University credits only
- Year 2: CertHE Counselling
- Year 3: DipHE Counselling (you are now eligible to join a professional counselling body)
- Year 4: BA (Hons) Counselling
As a conclusion to the programme, you will be provided with the opportunity to conduct a literature research on a personal area of interest. You may complete this in Year 4 or take a further year if this suits your circumstances.
What are the programme fees?
What to do next?
Attend an Open Day
During the academic year, we offer a number of engaging Open Days at both of our campuses. This is a great opportunity for you to explore the College programmes further. Come along and meet tutors and current students to find out if studying at Waverley Abbey College is the right place for you. To book a place on an Open Day, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Make an Application
For our validated programmes, applications are normally made in the spring and summer term prior to the start of the programme. Once your application has been received, you will receive acknowledgement and be invited for an interview.
Waverley Abbey College
Waverley Abbey House