Post graduate Certificate in Spiritual Direction
This programme is validated by Middlesex University and is 60 credits at level 7 of the Higher Education Framework.
Who is this course for and entry requirements
This programme is suitable for those interested in becoming or developing themselves in an existing role as a Spiritual Director. Students learn how to:
- Know how to support and encourage someone in deepening their relationship with God through an enriched understanding of prayer
- Be able to identify faith shifts, transitions and crises, and help people navigate their journey of spiritual development and transformation
- Gain self-awareness in relation to their own faith development and relationship with God through a series of experiential exercises
- Explore their understanding of how God works in and through relational processes
Students are required to have obtained a minimum of one of the following:
A first degree or equivalent professional qualification or
At least three years significant experience in ministry and relevant life experience
Students taking this course take three taught modules:
- Framework, skills and ethics
- Approaches to Spiritual Formation
- Spiritual Direction
Students can enter the programme at the start of any of the taught modules.
Students will have to write essays, give presentations and are required to keep a personal journal throughout the duration of the course.
Dates and fees of programme
Download the Terms and Conditions of Enrolment here.
Students will also have to fund the following items:
- Accommodation costs whilst staying at the college
- Books and other study material
- a three day retreat as part of the Spiritual Direction module
Waverley Abbey College, Waverley Abbey House, Waverley Lane, Farnham GU9 8EP
Mode of Study
Part-time – most taught modules are delivered in two blocks of three days each.
Students could apply for a role as a Spiritual Director. Students could progress to the MA in Spiritual Formation.