Do you want to be better equipped to help others on their spiritual journey? Our programmes provide robust and effective spiritual formation training. Students engage with knowledge and conceptual frameworks drawn from theology, psychology, social sciences, historical studies, counselling, leadership studies and psychotherapy. This requires an integrative framework to bring these different disciplines into a coherent whole. We help students develop in their own spiritual formation, and equip them with a wide range of tools to help others to grow and develop their spiritual lives.
Students start with a two-day induction at the beginning of the first taught module relevant to entry to their programme at that point in time. There are three separate entry points in any academic year. These three entry points apply for the MA, the PGDip, the four PG Certs, the BA (hons) top up, the Waverley Dip and the four Waverley Certs.
Any module can also be taken as a stand-alone for professional development. In one term you complete one module, so three modules are completed in a full calendar year. The precise order a student takes the modules in is dependent on the course taken and the start date. This is agreed at interview.
For all programmes (with the exception of a single CPD module) students will take two core modules:
Skills, Ethics and Framework
- Foundational relationship and communication skills
- Awareness of relevant ethical parameters
- Insight into the Waverley Integrative Framework of Human Functioning
Approaches to Spiritual Formation
- The way in which the Church through the ages has understood a Christian being formed into the image of Jesus Christ
- The way in which culture and historic context has shaped spiritual formation
- How psychological approaches in the last 100 years have impacted the process of spiritual formation
Spiritual Formation options
- PG Dip
- PG Cert
- BA (Hons) Top-up
- Certificate of Study
‘Learning of spiritual formation has broadened my concept of the heavenly Father and strengthened my faith by challenging what I believe God is doing in every part of life. God is good and this course helps us see our spiritual life more clearly.’ – Steve